Saturday, December 8, 2012

On Our Way

After weeks of planning and researching, we are off to LAX for the first leg of our trip into Frankfurt.  We will be on a 6:45 p.m. non-stop flight on American arriving at London Heathrow at 1 p.m.  After a four hour layover, we will continue on British Airways into Frankfurt.  We will pick up a car and drive to Oestrich-Winkel, located on the Rhine and about 30km away . Our hotel room will overlook vineyards.

The current and predicted weather for Germany is lots of snow and cold.  As a result, I have returned to REI and Marshalls to purchase additional cold weather clothes and a larger suitcase.  We not only need room for the clothes we are taking but for the goodies we will be bringing home.  Since we can check in one piece of luggage for free, I am putting my packed, carry-on size bag into a larger sized luggage and checking it in.  For the trip home, I'll be able to fill the larger piece with purchases, check it in, and still be able to take my carry-on piece on the plane home. However, since we are flying home on Air Berlin, I need to make sure my carry-on luggage is the correct size.  European airlines have smaller luggage limits. 

The check-in and security lines at LAX are short and fast.  Since I'm writing this after our arrival in Germany, you will soon see the short lines were a foreshadowing of what was to come. This is the first time I have flown without a layover in the States.  Layovers on this trip are in Europe.  Could prove to be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment